Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week 1 - Luke's (late) post



Forgive me for posting this slightly late! 
This is my dear Winged Victory of Samothrace (here's the real thing  in the Louvre: http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkg2jpxgig1qh1e4vo1_500.jpg) who in my opinion embodies much of our muse Clio. 


I mean just look at this poor girl. She's beat up -- head, feet, arms all missing -- but she strides forward, still fluid and beautiful. She also has a fascinating story. After spending a few thousand years in a temple as a monument to a battle that happened nearby, she wound up at the Louvre. Here's where it gets really interesting. As the Nazis advanced on Paris, the curators and workers all snuck the most precious of the pieces to the countryside of France, where every single one survived and was recovered after the War. Our dear Victory here was one of them. 


Hopefully I'll be a little more prompt next time. Cheers, friends -


LSM 

2 comments: